Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Making An Honest Self Assessment

As I near the completion of my second full round of P90X, I am impressed with my weight loss and the fat that is being burned from my body.  With that being said, I started becoming concerned with my estimates in terms of body fat % and what my target weight should be for a lean, 8% ripped look.  I am using calipers and measuring 3 spots on my body - chest, abdomen, and thigh.  My current calculations have me at around 12% body fat with a lean body mass (no fat at all) at around 167 lbs.  I am only 5 pounds away from my goal of 185 (and supposed 8% body fat based on my initial calculations), yet I really have not been fully satisfied with my abdominal area.  I have a weak 4 pack, meaning in proper lighting, I have a defined 4 pack (if you notice my last photo shoot....I took the updates in the kitchen because the lighting was better for muscle definition).  I was hoping at this point, a six pack would be coming through, regardless of my lighting.

The more research I did, the more I found out how inaccurate the calipers can be....as much as 5% off!  Therefore, to be honest with myself, I added 4-5% bf to my estimates, putting me back at around 16-17% body fat.  This seems more logical for my definition at this point....and my revised target weight is now around 168 lbs....meaning I still have 22 lbs. to shed.   Now, this can explain the fact that I am really not feeling the effects yet of the lower body fat %, and my meal plan to this point has been easy to follow.  So, with my second round of P90X coming to and end and me having to shed another 20lbs or so....what is my strategy going to be?  More cardio?  Increasing the amount of time I workout?  As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been looking outside of the box for ways in which I can successfully add muscle and shed fat while ignoring many of the diet and exercise myths that are floating out there today.  In fact, my approach may go against some of my earlier posts and philosophy on a successful nutrition plan.  In all honesty, the more people I talk to, the more I realize this has to be kept simple for long term success.  Additionally, there is a lot BS floated out there by supplement and food companies telling you exactly why certain foods are good, and which supplements will help you be successful in your fitness journey.  I am going to try and put many of those theories to rest on my last push to lose 20 lbs and get into single bf%.  I will also be looking to gain 4-5 lbs. of muscle during the next 3-4 months.  Stay tuned for my plan.......

No comments:

Post a Comment