Friday, December 3, 2021

My Current Education On Dopamine and Why Everything is Now Annoying Me (Part 1)

 Let me start out by saying that this is my outlet.  I don't expect one person to read my blog.  I'm officially OK with this.  Why would I even make this statement?  I'm learning that the more I post/write/comment for a reaction, it's more than likely I'm doing it for the rush of attention instead of trying to improve my own life.

This is a tough pill to swallow for me.  I can even use the history of this blog as a descent into narcissism.  I go back and read my progress and, while commendable, it became about me and my abs.  The same thing happened when I started Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. (even I can admit I have no desire and feel way to old for Tik Tok).

Let's start at the beginning.  No, actually let's not.  I may get there.  Let's start at the beginning of the pandemic.  My family decided to go all in on our responsibility as citizens and do our part to help humanity.  We locked ourselves down, avoided contact, kept distance and improved things around the house.  I also was let go from a position, that, when looking back, contributed to my narcissistic and attention seeking behavior.  I'll explain later.

Back to my family's commitment to the well-being of mankind.  When the pandemic started, we wanted to do our part to flatten the curve.  We did not want to be selfish and take a hospital bed away from someone that actually needed one.  Initial estimates on the worldwide death toll was grim.  My thought was, I have a high probability of contracting the virus.  Therefore, what can I do to personally improve my health for myself, my family, and everyone around me? 

The first book I read was on sleep.  I learned different perspectives on our body's circadian rhythm and why 7-8 hours of quality sleep was important for someone like me.  The amount of repair and mental regeneration that happens with proper sleep is amazing and it's downright scary on what can happen if we consistently disrupt our sleeping patterns. One of the main factors contributing to improper sleep was the over stimulating light emitted from screens that kept our minds active way past our proper bedtime.  Essentially, we are wired to react to light and dark from sunlight.  I had to reconsider my late night video gaming and social media activity.  I now strive to be in bed no later than 11 pm and naturally wake up around 7 am.  I'm working on getting better.

When I wake up, I try and spend some time outside with natural light waking up.  There are many studies highlighting the importance of natural light and it's intensity that signals to our bodies it's time to start moving, thinking, digesting, etc.  Many of us do not receive that type of stimulation working indoors or in an office environment.  There were many working years where I wake up before sun-up, commute to an office, and leave when it's getting dark.  This was very detrimental for me.  Now, being self-employed, I make an effort to work outside on the patio everyday, get plenty of sunlight and make sure I'm waking myself up properly before the day begins.  Oh, and Vitamin D seems to be a very important factor in the severity of your COVID symptoms should you contract the virus.  Also, it is still known that UV light from the sun or artificially created can kill COVID-19.  But, getting enough sunlight is free and takes effort.  Unfortunately, the narrative has shifted to more profitable options like shots and masks, which, in my opinion help, but don't solve the problem.  Shots and masks appeal to many because it makes you feel like you are doing enough.  You can yell at someone across the street for not wearing a mask while you eat your fried food, drink your beer, and battle type-2 diabetes, all the while making yourself feel better.  This is dopamine and there's an explanation as to why you can be a horrible example of health (like me - just look at the earlier posts of the blog), but still feel good about yourself because you pretend you care. You, yes you and your type drive me batshit crazy.  I also have a spoiler - the variants are now resistant to vaccines.  If you really want to do yourself and humanity a service, get your shot, wear your mask, but don't stop there.  Much more is going to be required from you as a human being and it's not going to mesh well with your daily dopamine fix.  Stay tuned for Part 2 - Diet and Movement.

Below is my workspace on the patio.  You could argue this is a dopamine fix but I'm also in the mindset no one is looking at this picture.  Therefore, no bullshit filters, just my raw, 46 year old body I'm trying to keep young





No comments:

Post a Comment